Letter: Anti-racist Eltham
Tuesday 09 March 1999
Sir: Almost all discussion of race and ethnicity is nonsense ("Every mixed race marriage is building a better Britain", 4 March).
All human beings are "mixed-race", resulting from complex combinations of the genes of all our ancestors, and all human marriages are "mixed- race", involving further combinations of combinations, all the way back to our obscure origins from notional ape-like creatures in East Africa thousands of generations ago.
The only proper answer to questions about our race or ethnic origin is "human".
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'