Letter: Australia's choice
Saturday 06 November 1999
The referendum is about national identity, a realisation that we are our own people, no longer needing constitutional dependence on a foreign head of state. It is about casting off the last vestiges of the "cultural cringe" that clung on until only a short while ago. It is about the constitution maturing into a document that better reflects what Australia is today.
You claim we are offered a president elected by a two-thirds majority of parliament because we can't trust ourselves not to vote Kylie Minogue into office. To elect a president by the majority of the people would give that president a greater mandate than the parliament itself to govern. The point of the president is to keep the parliament in check, and vice versa.
Australia does not need the Queen any more than she needs us.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If you weren't afraid of flying before last week... you probably are now
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 4 Lauren Goodger calls for tougher laws on revenge porn after sex tape leaks online
- 5 Iraq crisis: End 'very near' for Christianity after Isis takeover, says Bishop
Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia