Letter: Backing the Bank
Saturday 10 October 1998
I would just wish to make one point. The idea that I was telling reporters that a rate cut was "in the bag" is totally contradicted by your own front page story last Monday (5 October) which, as it turned out, correctly predicted "Interest rates to fall this week". The source of the story was not "off the record" Treasury briefing, but your own reporter's interpretation of the Governor of the Bank of England's "on the record" remarks at a press conference in Washington.
It was this Chancellor who made the Bank independent and it is this Chancellor who will continue to give the Bank of England his full support whatever difficult decisions it must make.
Chancellor's Press Secretary
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter