Letter: Balkan problems
Monday 05 October 1998
Was there no one in the Newcastle squad - manager or player - with the good old-fashioned English working man's spirit and good judgement to say, "I choose to withdraw my labour rather than give comfort to the people of a country involved in a monstrous tyranny"?
Sadly, it seems that football has become an idolatrous passion presided over by millionaire managers and players paid at a rate far beyond the wildest dreams of the fans.
Nevertheless I dare to say that Newcastle has this day suffered the double shame of a bruising defeat and of letting our country down.
Not to have played against the Partizans of Belgrade would have sent the most powerful message possible to the Serbian people that the cruel conduct of their government is unacceptable.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Jeremy Clarkson to host BBC's Have I Got News For You despite Top Gear exit
Jeremy Clarkson says it 'isn't hard' to create another Top Gear
James May hints Top Gear days are over following Jeremy Clarkson's BBC suspension
The Face of an Angel actress: I feel great empathy for Meredith Kercher’s family
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Council tenant wins right not to be sent to Milton Keynes