Letter: Ban GM imports
Saturday 20 March 1999
There is a fundamental difference between the North American aborigine's first attempts to crossbreed grains and today's genetically modified crops. The former demonstrated a holistic approach where desired behaviour was rewarded and fortuitous crossbreeds selected for further use. The latter is an atomic approach where a single component is changed and the consequences measured largely in isolation. One look at modern medicine shows how the atomic approach often produces quick answers later understood to be wrong.
Sir: Once again, this time over labelling of GM foods, a government has been panicked by a media scare into hasty and ill-considered legislation. Perhaps when all measures of this kind are due for renewal they could be consolidated into a single Knee-Jerk (Unnecessary and Unworkable Regulations) Act. This should ensure that genetically modified pit-bull terriers cannot own handguns.
G A C GARNER
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia