Letter: Ban GM imports
Saturday 20 March 1999
There is a fundamental difference between the North American aborigine's first attempts to crossbreed grains and today's genetically modified crops. The former demonstrated a holistic approach where desired behaviour was rewarded and fortuitous crossbreeds selected for further use. The latter is an atomic approach where a single component is changed and the consequences measured largely in isolation. One look at modern medicine shows how the atomic approach often produces quick answers later understood to be wrong.
Sir: Once again, this time over labelling of GM foods, a government has been panicked by a media scare into hasty and ill-considered legislation. Perhaps when all measures of this kind are due for renewal they could be consolidated into a single Knee-Jerk (Unnecessary and Unworkable Regulations) Act. This should ensure that genetically modified pit-bull terriers cannot own handguns.
G A C GARNER
Oscars 2015 Mexican filmmaker uses speech to urge 'respect' for immigrants
Oscars 2015 Bringing you all the news from the 87th Academy Awards
TV ReviewThe intrigue deepens as we delve further but don't expect any answers just yet
Razzies 2015 Golden Raspberry Awards 'honours' Cameron Diaz and Kirk Cameron
Film Hollywood's new leading lady talks about her Ramsay Street days
Oscar voter speaks outfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East