Letter: Banana battles
Friday 22 January 1999
The German market for bananas, now much the largest in the EU, is however almost entirely for dollar bananas, due, as Deborah Orr says, to the protocol to the treaty of Rome, signed by Germany in 1957. Adenauer wanted to avoid it. But the Americans exercised maximum pressure and he had to yield.
There was thus established in Germany a taste for these bananas, strengthened by the addition of East Germany in 1989. But is it not high time that the whistle was blown?
Germans who have had the chance to sample other sorts of bananas are enthusiastic about them, more especially since information campaigns have revealed the inhuman conditions in which dollar bananas are harvested, chemically treated and made uniform.
Professor Dr JOSEF ELFENBEIN
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off embroiled in Baked Alaska 'sabotage' scandal
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >