Letter: Battle of the Scrubs
Monday 09 August 1999
The real problem with Wormwood Scrubs stems from the inordinate amount of power which the Prison Officers' Association have been able to wrest from the prison's management over many years. They have thus been able to ground initiatives which the Wormwood Scrubs management have sought to introduce in the name of reform, and as a result the Scrubs has lost both direction and credibility.
The prison service is right to see its staff as its most important resource but, equally, it is vital that prison staff accept the chain of command in any penal establishment if it is to function as intended. The entrenched destructive attitudes of some staff at Wormwood Scrubs mean, however, that the battle for the Scrubs may take far longer to win than the six months which the prison service have set themselves.
Editor, "The Prisons Handbook"
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk