Letter: Below the belt
Thursday 28 January 1999
Viagra is a drug for sexual performance, and, except for procreation, sex has to be defined as recreational and as such can in no way be regarded as a health "need". Like all other "wants" it should be paid for, and at the price of a take-away is a good alternative to a pint of lager and a chicken tikka.
For years the male-dominated British Medical Association has castigated the Government for not making rationing decisions. So why should it be making such a stand over a male impotence drug?
At at time when I am unable to admit acutely ill people; when cancer operations are being cancelled and patients' relatives are required to wash and feed them for lack of nurses, one can only conclude that the BMA, like most males, believe the vital organs including the brain are located in their groins.
Dr PAULINE BRIMBLECOME
filmIn Black Seahe is as audiences have never seen him before
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police