Letter: Blackpool follies
Wednesday 30 September 1998
Yet so far we have been offered "super-nurses", "beacon councils" and now "superteachers" ( report, 28 September). What these policies have in common, (apart from receiving heavy criticism from all the professional bodies involved,) is they reward nurses, councils and teachers who have "excelled" with money, power and influence. Meanwhile, the 99 per cent of nurses, councils or teachers who did not scramble to the top of the heap are underfunded as usual.
What is "New" about any of this? It seems to me a mere formalisation of the dog-eat-dog attitude of the last administration. Can neither of these two political parties really come up with a better system of reward for public service than offering a tit-bit to the dog who jumps highest?
(Liberal Democrat county councillor)
Hinton St George, Somerset
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 contestants: Meet Kellie Maloney, formerly known as Frank Maloney
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict