LETTER: Blonde bombshell
Monday 12 April 1999
Sir: So people make snap judgements about women's intelligence based on their hair colour, do they ("Dumb blonde image is alive and well", 10 April)?
This emerges from getting 120 people to rate a model for intelligence, among other attributes, from pictures in which she wears different coloured wigs. But the only people who could honestly participate in such an exercise are those who believe that appearance has something to do with intelligence. Anyone who didn't believe that would either refuse to take part or would make up their answers to please (or fool) the questioner. So the research tells us that of those who believe that appearance is linked to intelligence a significant proportion believe that appearance is linked to intelligence. Gosh.
As one who hasn't needed a comb for years, incidentally, I firmly believe that the only proven link in this area is an inverse relationship between hair and IQ.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
- < Previous
- Next >