Letter: Booker thoughts
Friday 10 September 1999
1. I have no idea whether or not some recent Booker verdicts are "dodgy", since I find, looking through the past 10 years' shortlists, I have read just three winners (one of which I wrote myself) and one shortlisted book.
2. I do not think how well a Booker winner sells is any reflection on the judges' decision.
3. I do not for one moment believe novelists deserve to be paid more than teachers, or anybody else (though the majority of novelists would be delighted to earn the equivalent of a teacher's salary each year). I have no idea where this "teacher" comparison comes from.
4. If asked my opinion (as I was that night), I'd tend to agree with "my" words that the prize money should now be raised - to, say, pounds 50,000 - and more crucially, that the judges (many of whom are freelance or self- employed) be paid a proper fee for a job which, if done properly, should take up at least a third of a working year.
But as I say, I've never thought much about the matter until just now.
Grace Dent on TVtv
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
‘Remember the attackers are a cold-blooded, crazy minority’, says Blek le Rat
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Belle & Sebastian interview: Stuart Murdoch reveals how the band is taking a new direction
Alfred Hitchcock's unseen Holocaust documentary to be screened
Diana Krall: The jazz singer on being friends with Elton John, outer space and skiing in Dubai
Photographer Matt Lankes' portraits of the cast of Boyhood influenced the film's storyline
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens