Letter: Budget blow
The extra tax on diesel which has been in position for years in this country, bringing its price into line with that of petrol, was already an unjustifiable dishonesty. The predictable retort that this is to adjust for the better economy of diesel power is not acceptable; the substantially higher purchase price of a diesel vehicle is part of the equation of outlay versus running costs.
Capricious and unpredictable changes to the relative price structure make any attempt to make rational calculations a waste of time.
Country dwellers with large distances to cover and no practical public transport tend to opt for diesel power. They are also, in so far as voting power is concerned, a minority group.
For the Chancellor to take advantage of this by imposing this savagely disproportional increase in diesel fuel is despicable.
On the other side of the Channel the rural communities would be demonstrating with tractors and combine harvesters on the motorways and horseboxes in the city centres.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.