LETTER: Case for exams
Saturday 22 August 1998
Case for exams
Sir: I am a 38-year-old, comprehensive-educated, working mother. I did a PhD at a college for mature women when my children started school, and am now the admissions tutor at another all-women Cambridge college. I wasn't surprised when I didn't recognise myself or my colleagues in Bidisha's depiction of Oxbridge dons, "sat in their dining room mumbling `Ah, yes, now how to get some more of these ... these poor people into the colleges.' " ("Dreaming spires come tumbling down", 20 August).
I did, however, feel inexplicably hurt. Sorry if I've missed the joke. It's just that after a heartbreaking day on the phone consoling disappointed applicants and agonising with colleagues over decisions - not mumbling in the dining room but crying in it - my sense of humour has deserted me.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 Chaos breaks out in courtroom as father attacks killer of three-year-old daughter
- 5 I like Corbyn, but let's face it: we don't need another white man at the head of a political party
X Factor hopeful Mason Noise: 'How is Cheryl Fernandez-Versini in the music business, let alone a judge on the show?'
Trevor Noah, Edinburgh Fringe review: New Daily Show host warms up in inspired style
X Factor 2015: Ratings drop almost 2 million compared to last year's launch show
VMAs 2015: Kanye West runs for president, Nicki Minaj calls out Miley Cyrus and the list of winners in full
VMAs 2015: Taylor Swift and her buddy Kendrick Lamar clean-up at awards - full list of winners
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up