Letter: Chile awakens
Friday 04 December 1998
While I feel Pinochet should stand trial, I wouldn't be happy if this were done in Spain since the Spanish hardly have clean hands in the matter of Chile and other parts of South America.
For centuries the Spanish conquistadores, settlers and Inquisition made life hell for the indigenous population. Millions are estimated to have died at Spanish hands.
There is also the little matter of the Basques, most of whom are not terrorists and whose treatment by the Spanish government is brutal in the extreme.
Does Senora Vasquez-Aquilar really think the Spanish should be the ones to judge another on the matter of crimes against humanity?
PATRICIA ANN WILSON
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 2 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 3 Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson criticised for beer tweet
- 4 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 5 The bubble bursts for Sodastream
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything