Letter: Choice for men
Tuesday 01 June 1999
The truth is that men, like their lives, are nasty, brutish and short, and they have never really learned to express themselves about personal issues. Women have done so, as in the past they needed their tongues to defend themselves against men's greater physical strength. Nowadays, in the West at least, verbal skill is more important than mere muscle; women have this and use it.
As your paper has rightly pointed out, men's life expectancy is around seven years less than women's in the West. So we provide cervical and breast cancer screening and no testing for prostate cancer to exacerbate the situation.
There are endless scares about screening programmes for women, adding to the pressure for more treatment. None for men because there aren't any screening programmes to go wrong. And, yes, we men are programmed by our mothers to be brave while our sisters are cuddled for the same bruise, graze or whatever. All in all, a depressing situation.
It would seem that there are three ways forward. Men can learn to defend their interests, form pressure groups and the like. Or they can persuade women to stick up for us. Or they will just quietly fade away.
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
How climate change helped Genghis Khan: Scientists believe a sudden period of warmer weather allowed the Mongols to invade with such success
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 3 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 4 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor