Letter: Circumcision myths
Friday 02 October 1998
When Moselle refers to "the loss of a couple of square inches of skin", he is terribly mistaken. The adult foreskin comprises 12 to 15 square inches of skin and mucosa together representing, typically, between one- third and two-thirds of the entire penile skin system.
The foreskin's unique and rich nerve structure was recently described in the British Journal of Urology (February 1996) by the Canadian John Taylor. Besides identifying the multiple zones and structures that constitute this complex body part, Taylor pointed out that the junction, at its tip, where the external skin becomes highly innervated mucosa "appears to be an important component of the overall sensory mechanism of the human penis".
Circumcision Information Resource Centre
filmIn Black Seahe is as audiences have never seen him before
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police