Letter: Circumcision myths
Friday 02 October 1998
When Moselle refers to "the loss of a couple of square inches of skin", he is terribly mistaken. The adult foreskin comprises 12 to 15 square inches of skin and mucosa together representing, typically, between one- third and two-thirds of the entire penile skin system.
The foreskin's unique and rich nerve structure was recently described in the British Journal of Urology (February 1996) by the Canadian John Taylor. Besides identifying the multiple zones and structures that constitute this complex body part, Taylor pointed out that the junction, at its tip, where the external skin becomes highly innervated mucosa "appears to be an important component of the overall sensory mechanism of the human penis".
Circumcision Information Resource Centre
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world