Letter: Climatic catastrophe
Monday 27 December 1999
Much stricter measures should have been adopted at least a decade ago.
Instead an extra tranche of fossil burning plant has been introduced worldwide. This has a nominal lifetime of some 40 years and hence is costly and inconvenient to replace. The longer this practice continues, the worse the position will get. Increased atmospheric CO2 concentrations persist for over a hundred years after gas emission.
The issue is compounded by a variety of obstacles to the introduction of replacement low-CO2 industrial plant quickly enough to avoid serious harm to many more people. So far,the attitude of certain key politicians and industrialists, notably in the USA, has been to keep their heads firmly in the sand. Now they must be admonished to address seriously the challenges, trade offs and commercial opportunities involved in switching to a hydrogen fuel - renewable energy - energy conservation based world.
If they don't, the public and especially anyone below middle age, should be asking "why not?".
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
They're back, they're big – and they're still spectacularly boringfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in World Cup match
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories