Letter: Cruelty to fish
Tuesday 08 June 1999
Could Richard Lee give us his estimate of how many coarse fishers would even dream of cooking the fish they catch, rather than pulling the hook out of the fishes' mouths and throwing them back in the water? Is he trying to tell us that the average fisher pursues his hobby because of a passionate desire for self-caught quenelles de brochet, grilled whitebait or carpe a la Chambord?
There is in fact little or no moral argument for fishing unless you eat your catch (or present it, like the late record-holding carp Clarissa, to London Zoo); fishing purely for amusement is more nearly equivalent to beating up passers-by for sport, except that the fish are less likely to hit you back.
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
arts + entsOlivier-nominated actor and singer is set to star in Lloyd Webber's musical about the Profumo affair
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
sportUnder-10s football coach sacked for telling parents he was 'only interested in winning'
techA piece of new hi-tech kit aims to get us scribbling again
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Shia LaBeouf's Nymphomaniac sex scene removed from YouTube
Eminem, Drake and Jay Z among Spotify's most-streamed artists of 2013
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 North Korea: Kim Jong Un 'sacks powerful uncle and has his aides executed'
- 2 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert