Letter: Curb MI5
Friday 25 September 1998
The first oversight is the accuracy of the information. For example, when the MI5 officer Michael Smith was prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act for passing on confidential data, MI5 admitted that he had been cleared to work for the agency because details of his Communist sympathies had been placed on the file of another Michael Smith.
The Data Protection Registrar, has persistently stated that MI5 - together with MI6 and GCHQ - should register under the Data Protection Act 1984. This would require that all data is "collected fairly and lawfully, is accurate and kept up to date, and only used for the purpose for which it was gathered". But MI5 has refused to comply.
There is considerable evidence that MI5 acted to undermine a democratically elected Labour government in the 1970s. Political figures of all the main parties were subject to MI5-inspired dirty tricks campaigns.
The first move should be to establish an independent commission to investigate the accuracy and legality of the data, and any complicity on the part of MI5 officers.
If there had been some 290,000 subversives, wouldn't there have been some obvious evidence of this vast revolutionary army in recent decades?
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
- 3 Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict