Letter: Darwin's rival
Friday 27 August 1999
The concept of evolution by "survival of the fittest" was arrived at independently by both Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace.
Wallace wrote to Darwin expounding his version of the theory in 1858. Wallace's conclusions were drawn after a study of species on the Indonesian island system of Aru, just as Darwin's had been during his visit to the Galapagos.
It is believed by some, though impossible to prove, that Darwin concealed the letter until his own version had been made public. What is beyond doubt is that the two were in regular communication. Papers introducing the theory of evolution were written by both Darwin and Wallace and presented at the same meeting of the Linnaean Society on 1 July 1858.
It is unjust that Darwin is lionised - religious fundamentalists aside - while Wallace moulders in obscurity.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women