Letter: Defending pensions
Friday 16 October 1998
Sir: From much of the media's coverage of the Liberal Democrats' conference I can understand why Mr Fuller (letter, 14 October) might think that we have not paid any attention to pensioners, but this is quite misleading.
The longest debate of our whole conference was on the subject of social security, with a major discussion on pensions. As a result, the conference whole-heartedly endorsed a package of measures including immediate and substantial increases in the state pension for older pensioners, together with steps to protect tomorrow's pensioners from poverty. Given the apparent commitment of the Labour government to continuing the Tory policy of linking the basic pension to prices and thereby gradually phasing it out, the Liberal Democrats are now the only major party with a long-term commitment to the basic state pension.
STEVE WEBB MP
(Northavon, Lib Dem)
House of Commons
TV reviewGrace Dent: Jimmy McGovern's new drama sheds light on sex slavery in the colonies
Eurovision 2015Australian Idol winner unveiled as representative Down Under
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Kate Moss: Previously unpublished nude photo revealed by Mert and Marcus
- 3 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 4 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 5 Bad Jews poster 'censored' on London Tube
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Elif Shafak: Turkish author warns against rise of British nationalism
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests
Nigel Farage promises Ukip will not 'stigmatise' would-be migrants – and says he wants 'everyone to speak the same language'