Letter: Depression drugs
Friday 26 February 1999
What Deborah Orr seems to be talking about is not so much clinical depression as trying to recover a sense of wellbeing within society, something that the pressures of modern life and breakdown of family structures has eroded.
Antidepressant pills do not cure unhappiness. Despair in the body politic will not respond to pills but to fundamental changes in our ways of living and working. Drug treatments, however, remain a vital part of the treatment of the terrible illness that is clinical depression.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
MOBO Awards 2014: Jess Glynne hits out at 'ridiculous' criticism of nominated white artists
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Channel 5 set to give Big Brother the cold shoulder
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'