Letter: Desert war threat
Thursday 11 February 1999
The UN mission is in the area attempting to maintain a ceasefire between the occupation forces of the Kingdom of Morocco and the Polisario, who represent the indigenous people of the area, the Saharawi. The UN's other task was to oversee a referendum on the future of the territory, forcibly occupied by Morocco in 1975, a referendum that Morocco agreed to in 1997 but which it has refused to implement.
The UN Secretary-General cites a "lack of political will" on the part of the Moroccan authorities for the breakdown in the situation. But Moroccan "will" to stay in military occupation of the Western Sahara is bolstered by a pounds 5 per annum handout from every man woman and child in the UK, via the EU aid budget. The pounds 280m involved is used by the Moroccan authorities through budgetary transfers to ease the pounds 1m per day cost of the military occupation of the Western Sahara.
Morocco is hugely dependent on British and European tourism. If war breaks out in the Western Sahara it may well spread throughout Morocco and the other countries in the region. I would ask your readers, many of whom vacation in Morocco, to consider these facts when deciding on this year's holiday destination.
House of Lords
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >