Letter: Design for sneering
However, I entirely disagree with those who, like Robin Butterell, believe that the British public's conservative taste for architecture is "largely due to ignorance" (letter, 24 March).
In truth it is the ignorance of Riba establishment types which prevents them seeing the beauty, look and durability of classical and traditional architecture.
The mass-production approach to building design, mixed with socialist dogma and an unhealthy post-war economy has left future generations with a massive problem of unwanted Modernist buildings. Our post-industrial world gives a little more chance to consider environmental issues, and, once again, craft, longevity, history, culture and beauty are at the forefront of the public's priorities.
This is the time to relearn the skills and reasoning behind real architecture, classical architecture, and to teach it in schools. It is vital for the survival of the architects' profession that it understands the priorities of the British public and stops sneering at it.
Arts & Ents blogs
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.