Letter: Diana mourned

Sir: One of the people interviewed by Cayte Williams ("We thought her death had changed us...", 26 August) says "Diana's death was a real milestone in British history ... So many people can remember what they were doing when she died." Here is the beginning of a real myth. Given that the death occurred between 3am and 4am (British time) on a Sunday, I should guess that about 5 per cent of the population were either at work or nearing the end of their Saturday night celebrations and that the other 95 per cent were fast asleep in bed.

The Ven MARTIN DRAPER

Paris

Comments