Letter: Dignified old age
Saturday 24 July 1999
Anyway, why all the fuss about a radio programme sponsored by Saga? Surely anything - anything - would be better than the nightly offering on TV of bad taste, appalling noise and inanities uttered by ill-dressed young men and half-naked women, all with an IQ of about 30.
If Saga can provide some decent music and good plays, I am all for it and so, I imagine, are many others - not necessarily OAPs.
"Third Age" as a description for us oldies is neither new nor American. An association called U3A - "University of the Third Age" - has been going for many years now, holding classes on many subjects (not knitting or care of grandchildren) and arranging visits to places of academic interest. I'm 86 and have been a member of the U3A for many years.
I do very much deplore J Walsh's comments on incontinence, Viagra, hair styles and funny clothes etc. Does he think it amusing - or clever?
Mrs ENID MANNING
Oscars 2015 Mexican filmmaker uses speech to urge 'respect' for immigrants
Oscars 2015 Bringing you all the news from the 87th Academy Awards
TV ReviewThe intrigue deepens as we delve further but don't expect any answers just yet
Razzies 2015 Golden Raspberry Awards 'honours' Cameron Diaz and Kirk Cameron
Film Hollywood's new leading lady talks about her Ramsay Street days
Oscar voter speaks outfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East