Letter: Dignified old age
Saturday 24 July 1999
Anyway, why all the fuss about a radio programme sponsored by Saga? Surely anything - anything - would be better than the nightly offering on TV of bad taste, appalling noise and inanities uttered by ill-dressed young men and half-naked women, all with an IQ of about 30.
If Saga can provide some decent music and good plays, I am all for it and so, I imagine, are many others - not necessarily OAPs.
"Third Age" as a description for us oldies is neither new nor American. An association called U3A - "University of the Third Age" - has been going for many years now, holding classes on many subjects (not knitting or care of grandchildren) and arranging visits to places of academic interest. I'm 86 and have been a member of the U3A for many years.
I do very much deplore J Walsh's comments on incontinence, Viagra, hair styles and funny clothes etc. Does he think it amusing - or clever?
Mrs ENID MANNING
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassing leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories