Letter: Education for love
Tuesday 07 December 1999
As is that of a non-pregnant naked woman. Or naked man. Or child. That is, to anyone sufficiently open-minded not to automatically associate nudity with some sort of obscure moral degradation.
The typical British prudery surrounding nudity has given no protection against such social ills as our appalling figures on unmarried teenage pregnancies, six times higher than in Holland, where nudity is commonplace on many beaches and swimming pools. A similar relationship is seen between us and every country in Europe, where we also have the worst record on divorce and family breakdown. The only developed country, in fact, having a worse record than ourselves in this respect is the United States, where exposure of the body is even more restricted than here, to the extent that even performing the celebrated British "towel-tango" while changing into swimwear on a beach can get one into serious trouble. It might be possible to suspect a connection somewhere in this seeming paradox.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures