Letter: Emasculated mayor
Thursday 16 December 1999
I have therefore become increasingly concerned by the seemingly endless antics of the two major political parties, as they seek to control the candidates eligible for election as Mayor of London. If there is to be this level of central control and interference in advance of becoming elected, what chance is there of a mayor having any significant degree of local autonomy? I shall be voting for an independent candidate, rather than a stooge of the Labour or Conservative party.
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
X Factor winners: Where are they now?
Dancing on Ice 2014 line-up revealed
Ben Whishaw to play Freddie Mercury in Dexter Fletcher film
Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat: Peter Capaldi is worlds away from Malcolm Tucker
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >