Letter: Emotional health
Monday 16 November 1998
Clare's tendency to generalise omits a central, defining feature of male and female sexuality. Namely, that the fulfilment or otherwise of our sexual identity is bound inextricably to the fate and quality of our relationships with others, and this begins in infancy. Sexuality has its roots in biology but expresses itself most deeply and fully through the capacity for sustained intimacy, which is a psychological accomplishment. Clare appears to conceive of men and women as barely related species fraught with incomprehension.
A capacity to relate in depth to either sex is a prerequisite for emotional and sexual health.
More on people, less on penises, please, Professor.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up