Letter: End Iraq's agony
Saturday 19 December 1998
There was more logic then in our inaction, however reprehensible - we were unready, ill-armed and knowledge of what was happening to the Jews and gypsies was largely unknown. The result was that Germany gobbled up its surrounding countries and purged itself of Jews and gypsies - something that took years and many lives to put right.
Today everyone knows about the Kurds and the marsh Arabs, and Iraq's neighbours must be feeling a trifle uneasy, so perhaps those Independent readers might consider the past before condemning the present out of hand.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
- < Previous
- Next >