LETTER: EU PITFALL FOR BLAIR
Friday 05 March 1999
Sir: It appears that Lord Owen, in creating the New Europe Movement, is trying to split the anti-European vote at the European elections in June ("Pro-Europe group aims to halt EMU", 2 March).
The genuine anti-European Union vote consists of the UK Independence Party and former members of the Referendum Party who have joined us to fight against the corrupt regime of the EU. However, there are people who claim to be against the EU and these come mainly from the Conservative Party, whose MEPs sit in Brussels as part of the pro-federalist Group of the European People's Party. It is the latter group which Lord Owen will help with his new movement.
However, in the long run, it is the pro-federalists like Tony Blair, Paddy Ashdown and Alex Salmond who will benefit - in other words the undemocratic European Union.
J W SMITH
UK Independence Party
Books And it is whizzpopping!
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Video of Irish 'professional boxer' fighting Istanbul neighbourhood goes viral in Turkey
- 2 Novel Scarlett Johansson tried to ban, Grégoire Delacourt’s The First Thing You See, to be published in UK
- 3 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 4 Russia 'accidentally reveals' number of its soldiers killed in eastern Ukraine
- 5 Carol Vorderman reveals she is 'covered in burns' after she fell off her treadmill while running naked
Dresden riots: Protesters in Germany attack refugee buses shouting 'foreigners out'
France train shooting: US soldiers speak of the moment they stopped gunman and 'beat him until he was unconscious'
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs