LETTER: EU PITFALL FOR BLAIR
Friday 05 March 1999
Sir: It appears that Lord Owen, in creating the New Europe Movement, is trying to split the anti-European vote at the European elections in June ("Pro-Europe group aims to halt EMU", 2 March).
The genuine anti-European Union vote consists of the UK Independence Party and former members of the Referendum Party who have joined us to fight against the corrupt regime of the EU. However, there are people who claim to be against the EU and these come mainly from the Conservative Party, whose MEPs sit in Brussels as part of the pro-federalist Group of the European People's Party. It is the latter group which Lord Owen will help with his new movement.
However, in the long run, it is the pro-federalists like Tony Blair, Paddy Ashdown and Alex Salmond who will benefit - in other words the undemocratic European Union.
J W SMITH
UK Independence Party
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >