Letter: EU whistleblower
It is also wrong to say that "15,000 [European Commission] staffers voted for" Paul van Buitenen. In the recent Staff Representative Committee election the number of valid votes cast was 10,212. Mr van Buitenen's union received 24 per cent. Congratulations to him and to the other 26 people elected from all unions.
Mr van Buitenen did not "incriminate" anyone with his action last December. That action did, however, mean the public disclosure of documents relating to cases which were the subject of disciplinary and legal proceedings already being undertaken by the European Commission. Those disclosures created the serious risk that the cases that were being pursued could be compromised as a result of a breach in the sub judice rule. The Commission rightly concluded, however, that the offence was mitigated by deficiencies in the relevant rules in force at the time, and the fact that the information was sent to a Member of the European Parliament. The penalty consequently imposed on Mr van Buitenen was a reprimand - the second most moderate sanction available.
Mr van Buitenen was not "reinstated at a lower grade" following his suspension. He was reinstated at the same grade and suffered no loss of seniority, pay or entitlements.
Vice-President of the European Commission
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 2 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 3 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 4 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
- 5 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams to make special guest appearance in Doctor Who
Cassetteboy joins forces with Russell Brand for Emperor's New Clothes film
Poldark, review: Demelza’s insouciance is almost as impressive as Ross’ pecs
Jay Z launches streaming service Tidal with help from Kanye West, Rihanna and Coldplay
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew