Letter: Fathers of families
Tuesday 10 November 1998
Under a European Union directive, the UK must, as a minimum, give each parent the right to three months unpaid leave on the birth or adoption of a child. All other 14 European Union countries have, or will have by the end of 1998, such legislation in place and nine of them provide some form of pay. The results of a survey carried out by New Ways to Work in all other EU countries indicate that for this leave to be taken by fathers as well as mothers at least some of it will need to be paid and only available to be taken by the father. In Sweden, where parental leave has been available since 1978, at least one month must be taken by each parent, otherwise it is lost
New Ways to Work
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientists who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it to blame for the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia dubbed 'bit of plastic' by Antiques Roadshow's Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans
- 5 Michael McIntyre walks off stage after woman in the front row uses her phone
Breaking Bad series 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline, review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Alfred Hitchcock's unseen Holocaust documentary to be screened
X Factor results: Two of Cheryl’s girls get the chop
Star Wars memorabilia dubbed 'bit of plastic' by Antiques Roadshow's Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'