Letter: Federal Europe
Friday 06 August 1999
Does he mean Yugoslavia? Surely not. The years in which the peoples of that region were federated within a single state are just about the only ones in 700 years characterised by ethnic peace. Or is he talking about Switzerland? A very prosperous multi-ethnic, multi-lingual, multi-cultural federal state which has existed in almost perfect harmony for the last 600 years.
Or indeed, is he referring to the UK, a multi-national state whose constituent parts were ethnically, culturally and linguistically different when the Union came into being? Let's hope for all our sakes that it will not end in the civil war and bloodshed of which he speaks.
Brighton, East Sussex
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes