Letter: Futile search for ET
Tuesday 28 December 1999
Signals from outer space (if that is what they are) will have taken so long to reach us that the sources will have disappeared long before we receive them, and will have been generated before we came into existence.
Likewise, any replies we sent would at best be returned marked "gone away".
There is no conceivable way in which any of this nonsense could enhance the quality of life on Earth for the mass of us.
The thought that, having fouled our own nest here on Earth, we have anything to offer life elsewhere makes me despair.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel
The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace