Letter: Gays in school
Friday 23 April 1999
Sir: I am writing to express full support for James Hudson, the sixth- former who has been brave enough to speak out against homophobic comments and behaviour at Leeds Grammar School. His action is an example to his fellow students.
As a former pupil of the school I agree with James's comments that the school is able to offer much to its pupils academically, but the ethos and atmosphere have lagged far behind ("Gay pupil to sue school after attack", 21 April). The headmaster's description of homosexuality as "abhorrent" has no place coming from the head of an educational institution whose duty is to provide a safe environment for his students, free from prejudice or hate of whatever form.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >