Letter: GM facts ignored
Monday 09 August 1999
The news that the department may be on the point of voting in the European Union for the commercial release of GM oilseed rape (report, 5 August) is particularly dismaying, and flies in the face of all the assurances of caution that have been uttered by Government ministers in recent months.
The DETR's policy seems to have survived from Tory to Labour government unchanged. The DETR Advisory Committee on Releases into the environment (Acre) has approved all sixty of the applications considered during the past seven years. Objectors (including myself) who have submitted detailed dossiers of evidence to this committee have been largely ignored. In true "Sir Humprey" fashion, we have received letters pointing out that the UK regulations allow for public "comment", not "consultation". So yes, we can write in, but no, they are under no obligation to take the slightest notice of what we say.
Professor GEORGE SMITH
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes