Letter: `Good' teachers' pay
Monday 12 April 1999
Sir: It is a scandal how often schools avoid appointing teachers who are well qualified and experienced, but have reached the top of the pay scale, because it saves thousands of pounds if a probationer is taken on instead.
Similar cash limits will be placed on the number of teachers awarded extra money for the quality of their teaching - therefore all those who deserve the money will not get it, because heads will make sure that the money does not come out of their current account expenditure.
Teachers will cease to share expertise, arguing that it is foolish to aid someone else to achieve a higher salary at the expense of their own chances.
Market Deeping, Lincolnshire
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Japanese plant experts produce 10,000 lettuce heads a day in LED-lit indoor farm
- 3 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’