Letter: Grandchild's rights

Click to follow
The Independent Culture
Sir: I Collins (letters, 22 August) asks, "When will there be legal rights for grandchildren and grandparents to have contact?"

Surprisingly, perhaps, these are already contained within the Children Act, 1989.

In reality, the judiciary generally believe that this contact should take place complementary to that of the non-resident parent. Also, contact is often not adequately enforced by the courts, who shy from using the sanctions available within the Act.

Grandparents could qualify for legal aid if their income amounts to little more than the state pension. In addition they could consider representing themselves in the family courts.

Families Need Fathers have a significant grandparent membership and would be able to offer assistance.


London N6