Letter: Happy events
Friday 27 August 1999
Our boys were born in two different London hospitals. In neither cases was I "encouraged to lie down". A nurse showed me how to tuck my baby into bed with me and a midwife popped my homeopathic remedies into my mouth for me. A water birth was lined up and after my babies were born I was given a class in baby massage.
When discussing the option of a home birth with my GP before the delivery of my first baby we had a rational debate and local midwives told me how much they enjoyed being involved with home deliveries. From my own experience of childbirth I would never dream of having a baby anywhere other than in the biggest, most up-to-date, modern hospital I can find.
It is not just Third World mothers like Yasmin Alibhai-Brown (Comment, 26 August) who can be grateful to the medical profession for making childbirth risk-free. National Childbirth Trust members like me think that they do a pretty good job too.
"Natural" childbirth must be great for the lucky few whose bodies can cope with it, but evolution has played a nasty trick on most of us.
Arts & Ents blogs
'The Full Monty' stage play to close in West End after only a month - despite Olivier Awards nomination
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is really not so bad
Halle Berry's role in X-Men: Days of Future Past cut down to one scene
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli says she wants to see more male nudity in the show
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers