Letter: Hidden drug money
Tuesday 28 September 1999
Last Tuesday, the mayor of Iquitos told us: "Yes, Peru does still produce more coca leaves than any other country in the world. But you saw our naval vessels on the Amazon, whose operations are solely anti-drug related. You saw the sniffer dogs examining every package at our airport, for drugs. But we are like a man fighting with one hand tied behind his back so long as the West does nothing about anonymous numbered bank accounts in Grand Cayman, Luxembourg, Switzerland, and elsewhere."
Last Thursday during a 50-minute talk with us in the presidential palace in Lima, President Alberto Fujimori told us: "One thing is for sure - the serious drug money does not remain to help Peru, and I agree that the problem of anonymous numbered bank accounts has to be tackled on a world-wide scale."
We suggest that HMG forthwith obtain the full details of the Peruvian case against the anonymity of numbered accounts from the authorities in Lima, and from Roger Hart, the new British ambassador, who was present at our meetings.
TAM DALYELL MP
House of Commons
London SW 1
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Shia LaBeouf's Nymphomaniac sex scene removed from YouTube
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government