Letter: Humane eggs
Friday 27 August 1999
The battery cage causes suffering to hundreds of millions of hens throughout Europe. The recent decision by European agriculture ministers to ban this system from 2012 was made only after wide consultation with experts in poultry health and welfare. Had there been evidence of any threat to food safety , there is little doubt that such a decision would not have been made.
Within Europe, UK egg farmers are at the forefront in producing eggs from free-range and barn systems, with most eggs now coming from farms accredited under the RSPCA's Freedom Food standards. The public can help animal welfare by choosing to buy such eggs.
Dr MARTIN POTTER
Head, Farm Animals Department
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 2 What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
- 3 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 4 Black teen in critical condition after store employee 'shoots him for stealing 79-cent pack of cookies'
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Amy Winehouse film director: 'I wanted to show the fun, bright-eyed girl we didn't know'
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture