Letter: Humiliating Iraq
Thursday 06 August 1998
In 1965, the US Atomic Energy Commission audit team found that nearly 100 kg of weapons-grade uranium had "gone missing" from the Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corporation reprocessing plant in Apollo, Pennsylvania. The loss was ascribed to processing wastage and accounting inaccuracies. If such a discrepancy can occur for one material in one installation, how can the Iraqis be expected to account for a range of substances over the whole country?
It is becoming increasingly apparent that the motive for the continued use of sanctions against Iraq is to humiliate the Iraqi people rather than to prevent the manufacture of weapons of mass destruction.
Arts & Ents blogs
Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
The Independent Bath Literature Festival: 'Top Gear' makes Saudis look liberal, Kirsty Wark tells book festival
Mad about the girl: The cult of Veronica Mars
Stewart Lee: Beware - this man may be only joking
Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Teacher shows sex tape featuring herself to pupils during class by mistake
- 4 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it