Letter: Hungry Britain
Saturday 17 October 1998
But it's not only food. Many energy, transport and pollution threats confirm that the unacceptable reality of life for millions of our fellow citizens is comparable to the horror endured by so many in the Third World. It is the poor who live "downhill, downwind and downstream".
There are 15 million Britons classified as "fuel-poor". They live in lousy housing that wastes energy, and are too poor to stay warm in winter. Annually, some 30,000 vulnerable people die because they are cold and damp.
In the past 20 years, government has spent more than pounds 15bn building roads. This has disproportionately benefited the "haves". Poor neighbourhoods, deprived of decent public transport, gain only increased pollution, noise and severance.
A nationwide home energy conservation scheme can eradicate fuel-poverty, cut polluting emissions and create up to 50,000 jobs. Building a modern public transport network will create more than 120,000 new jobs .
What is needed now is not more pious words but joined-up policy-making, drawing on both public and private sector resources, to end the scandals of environmental degradation and related social misery.
Friends of the Earth
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories