Letter: Hungry Britain
Saturday 17 October 1998
But it's not only food. Many energy, transport and pollution threats confirm that the unacceptable reality of life for millions of our fellow citizens is comparable to the horror endured by so many in the Third World. It is the poor who live "downhill, downwind and downstream".
There are 15 million Britons classified as "fuel-poor". They live in lousy housing that wastes energy, and are too poor to stay warm in winter. Annually, some 30,000 vulnerable people die because they are cold and damp.
In the past 20 years, government has spent more than pounds 15bn building roads. This has disproportionately benefited the "haves". Poor neighbourhoods, deprived of decent public transport, gain only increased pollution, noise and severance.
A nationwide home energy conservation scheme can eradicate fuel-poverty, cut polluting emissions and create up to 50,000 jobs. Building a modern public transport network will create more than 120,000 new jobs .
What is needed now is not more pious words but joined-up policy-making, drawing on both public and private sector resources, to end the scandals of environmental degradation and related social misery.
Friends of the Earth
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
How climate change helped Genghis Khan: Scientists believe a sudden period of warmer weather allowed the Mongols to invade with such success
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 3 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 4 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor