Letter: I should be dead
Wednesday 30 September 1998
I and my three siblings, like most of our generation, grew up with chain- smoking parents, and every public building we went into was permeated with tobacco smoke. All our water came through lead pipes, our rooms were heated with smoky coal fires and lit - in the earliest days - by gas lamps. Winter was a succession of smogs. Our bread was white - the more refined the better - our diet heavily into fat, starch and sugar, and during the war-time years fruit was a rare luxury.
According to the pieces of research (usually from America) you so often publish, we should have been obese brain-damaged morons, riddled with cancer and choking to death by our tenth birthdays. We are now in our seventh and eighth decades and, except for a late-developed case of MS, we are all in good shape and good health. What went wrong?
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments