Letter: I should be dead
Wednesday 30 September 1998
I and my three siblings, like most of our generation, grew up with chain- smoking parents, and every public building we went into was permeated with tobacco smoke. All our water came through lead pipes, our rooms were heated with smoky coal fires and lit - in the earliest days - by gas lamps. Winter was a succession of smogs. Our bread was white - the more refined the better - our diet heavily into fat, starch and sugar, and during the war-time years fruit was a rare luxury.
According to the pieces of research (usually from America) you so often publish, we should have been obese brain-damaged morons, riddled with cancer and choking to death by our tenth birthdays. We are now in our seventh and eighth decades and, except for a late-developed case of MS, we are all in good shape and good health. What went wrong?
game of thrones reviewWarning: spoilers
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 2 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
- 5 Met Gala 2015: Beyoncé manages to out-skimp Rihanna, Miley and Kim Kardashian combined with near-naked ensemble
Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
Jorge Luis Borges fan brings his infinite library to life online
Game of Thrones, season 5 episode 4, review: Sansa in danger of becoming another footnote in Westeros' bloody history
The highly NSFW poster for Gaspar Noé's Love makes Nymphomaniac look like 50 Shades
Trailer for Robin Williams' last film Absolutely Anything starring Simon Pegg released
In defence of liberal democracy
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: Clegg warns of second election before Christmas without Lib Dems