Letter: Intergalactic news
Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari
Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari is an educationalist, writer and freelance parenting consultant (www.amanaparenting.com). He is Chair of London Muslim Centre and former Secretary General of Muslim Council of Britain (2006-10).
Tuesday 25 May 1999
Sir: Frank Zoltowski, an Australian amateur astronomer, has discovered an asteroid - AN10 - which could pass as close as 39,000 kilometres from Earth's centre in the year 2027.
This is a trifle close for comfort; the odds against a direct hit are given as 10 million to one, but could well change. Since the object is one kilometre across, impact could cause global climatic darkening and cooling in the manner of a nuclear winter after delivering several tens of gigatons TNT equivalent of energy to our planet - so we will probably hear a lot more about AN10 before 2027.
Perhaps even some constructive astronautical proposals for the dispersal and survival of our precarious civilisation might be timidly whispered by our often triviality-obsessed opinion formers. It is dangerous to keep all your eggs in one basket - even a planet-sized one.
Dr MICHAEL MARTIN-SMITH
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture