Letter: Is our beef safe?
Inevitably, therefore, the first cow went down with Scrapie (now entitled BSE) in 1985, and by November 1986, when six more cases had been identified, their vets told MAFF that this mysterious and almost indestructible scrapie agent had now got into the national herd. The vets were told to keep quiet about it, however, and nothing further was done for two years during which time it spread all over the UK.
Since they are responsible for the whole terrible BSE saga, the Tories are hardly in a position to criticise the present Government's handling of it ("Brown rejects both trade war and resignation", 10 December). MAFF were repeatedly warned in 1988 and 1989 that humans were at risk but they did not listen.
The whole catastrophe would have been avoided if those vital guidelines had been retained. Above all the grotesque tragedy of "new variant" CJD would never have happened.
H C GRANT
Arts & Ents blogs
The Photography Blog: ‘Control Order House’ by Edmund Clark – Photographing our response to terrorism
Recent events in Boston have served as a painful reminder of the threat posed by terrorism. In Contr...
I’ve not heard many bands that had quite the same kick as Pendulum did. Their unbelievable fusion of...
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
- 1 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 2 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 3 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 4 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.