Letter: Islam and gays
Thursday 12 August 1999
Sir: On behalf of the 2 million British Muslims, I would like to express our serious concern and anger, and protest at the portrayal of our blessed Jesus, the prophet of God, as homosexual in the play Corpus Christi on the Fringe of this year's Edinburgh Festival ("Last humiliation of Christ", 11 August).
This is blasphemous, and everybody knows that homosexuality is condemned in the Bible and strongly condemned in Islam. The blessed Jesus was to us the symbol of utmost purity, the son of the blessed Virgin Mary, who was the role model for all the women of the world.
All Muslim believers and all Christian believers should stand up together and strongly oppose this play, which is insulting to all believers in God and Jesus. This play should be stopped by all means if we are true believers.
Dr A MAJID KATME
Coordinator, Islamic Concern
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming that the street artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 5 Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage