Letter: Islam and gays
Thursday 12 August 1999
Sir: On behalf of the 2 million British Muslims, I would like to express our serious concern and anger, and protest at the portrayal of our blessed Jesus, the prophet of God, as homosexual in the play Corpus Christi on the Fringe of this year's Edinburgh Festival ("Last humiliation of Christ", 11 August).
This is blasphemous, and everybody knows that homosexuality is condemned in the Bible and strongly condemned in Islam. The blessed Jesus was to us the symbol of utmost purity, the son of the blessed Virgin Mary, who was the role model for all the women of the world.
All Muslim believers and all Christian believers should stand up together and strongly oppose this play, which is insulting to all believers in God and Jesus. This play should be stopped by all means if we are true believers.
Dr A MAJID KATME
Coordinator, Islamic Concern
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Zayn Malik releases first solo song 'I Won't Mind' in 'Zaughty' collaboration with Naughty Boy
Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Menstruation-themed photo series artist 'censored by Instagram' says images are to demystify taboos around periods
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers