Letter: Islam hijacked
Thursday 14 January 1999
Many Muslims protested for an end to the recent bombing of Iraq before the start of our holy month of Ramadan; to have continued would have been viewed as an outrage against Islam. But what about the outrages committed by Muslims during Ramadan? The murder of innocent hostages in Yemen as well as the planned bombings, the provocative and destructive rantings and rhetoric of Saddam Hussein, a call to all "good" Muslims to go and kill an American or British citizen by Osama bin Laden - are these not worse?
I would ask my younger Muslim brothers and sisters who support and demonstrate for Saddam Hussein how long they would continue to rally behind him if they had to live under his oppressive hand. Let us not allow the greatness and beauty of Islam to enter its Dark Ages, to lose its humanity and spirituality and become equated with terrorism, violence and oppression.
Dr ABDUL KARIM
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway attacked on Notting Hill street by man 'shouting about the holocaust'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >