Letter: Jenkins report
Saturday 31 October 1998
The result will be the election of top-up MPs chosen from lists of party favourites who have no constituency link. Has anyone thought of the consequences of having a two-tier House of Commons in which the top-up members will inevitably count for less in the eyes of voters and the media?
It is far better to move initially to alternative vote as a precursor to a later move to true PR in the shape of single transferable vote. AV is easily and cheaply introduced, with the same constituencies, candidates and ballot papers, and it gets the electors into the habit of preference voting.
A later move from AV to STV would simply involve the grouping of seats into multi-member constituencies, with an electorate accustomed by then to multi-choice voting.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
MOBO Awards 2014: Jess Glynne hits out at 'ridiculous' criticism of nominated white artists
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Channel 5 set to give Big Brother the cold shoulder
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'