Letter: Jenkins report
Saturday 31 October 1998
The result will be the election of top-up MPs chosen from lists of party favourites who have no constituency link. Has anyone thought of the consequences of having a two-tier House of Commons in which the top-up members will inevitably count for less in the eyes of voters and the media?
It is far better to move initially to alternative vote as a precursor to a later move to true PR in the shape of single transferable vote. AV is easily and cheaply introduced, with the same constituencies, candidates and ballot papers, and it gets the electors into the habit of preference voting.
A later move from AV to STV would simply involve the grouping of seats into multi-member constituencies, with an electorate accustomed by then to multi-choice voting.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >